Complexions Contemporary Ballet – STAR DUST
Mar. 24, 2018
Blaisdell Concert Hall
“Complexions combines technical precision, power and passion, in a groundbreaking mix of styles ranging from ballet to hip hop.” – Dance Magazine
From Bach to Bowie:
Combining the best of athleticism, lyricism, technical training, and experience, COMPLEXIONS awakens audiences to a new, exciting genre with their singular approach of reinventing dance through a groundbreaking mix of methods, styles, and cultures. This innovative dance company is at it again with their latest creation “Bach to Bowie.” The Bowie part of the evening is entitled “Star Dust” and will feature, as you might expect, daredevil dancing, a hip soundtrack, glam rock costumes, and innovative stagecraft. Long live Ziggy Stardust!
Since its founding in 1994 by former Alvin Ailey star dancers Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson, Complexions has dazzled audiences around the world with its fiercely kinetic movement and impassioned, almost superhuman dancers. Featured on the TV show “So You Think You Can Dance,” Complexions will provide an exhilarating program set to the music of J.S. Bach and David Bowie.
Things to Know:
- Both Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson danced with Alvin Ailey before starting Complexions
- The company strives to remove boundaries through dance—not enforcing them further
- Dwight Rhoden choreographed Stardust as a tribute to David Bowie
- Featuring costume design from Christine Darch, Stardust highlights the simplistic grandeur of Bowie, with each performer wearing face and body paint
- The 16 member ensemble, along with the artistic directors, teach master classes around the world to all level dancers
Supported by the Hawai‘i State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, through appropriations from the Legislature of the State of Hawai‘i or grants from the National Endowment for the Arts
This performance is part of a statewide tour organized in conjunction with the Performing Arts Presenters of Hawaii (PAPH).
Kahilu Theatre Foundation
University of Hawaii, Hilo
Maui Arts and Cultural Center