About the Program
Advanced & Intermediate:
- The Advanced and Intermediate levels meet from 9:00am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday. Classes include ballet technique, pointe, character, modern, jazz, and body conditioning. For those students involved in the end-of-session production, rehearsals may be held anytime from 3:15-6:15pm.
- Students may be asked to dance on Saturdays. A warm-up class is held from 12:00-1:00pm with rehearsals scheduled from 1:00-6:00pm.
- This program is designed for students ages 7-10 years old who have been taking ballet technique classes at least two times per week. Classes meet from 12:00-3:15pm Monday through Friday. Classes include ballet technique, body conditioning, hula, jazz, and modern. For those students involved in the end-of-session production, rehearsals may be held anytime from 3:15-6:15pm.
- Young Dancer students may be asked to rehearse on Saturdays anytime from 1:00-6:00pm.
*For all levels, the final third week of the Summer Intensive is Tech & Performance week. Rehearsal schedules will change and class schedules may be different than the first two weeks.
Auditions & Applications
All students must submit an application form. Click here to download the 2020 Application
Click here to download a Japanese translated application
1. Audition Requirements:
a. For students not currently enrolled in Ballet Hawaii, please submit a headshot and photo in first arabesque with a DVD audition, your application, and $30.00 application fee. (Checks made out to “Ballet Hawaii”) DVDs should be no longer than 10 minutes with basic barre and centerwork. Please include adagio, pirouettes en dehors and en dedans, petit and grand allegros. Female dancers with pointe experience should wear pointe shoes for the center combinations. The video is non-returnable unless a self-addressed and stamped mailer is provided.
b. All students not currently enrolled in Ballet Hawaii must be actively dancing to qualify for Summer Intensive. A letter of confirmation is required from his/her current ballet teacher.
c. Current Ballet Hawaii students do not need to submit a DVD.
d. Current Ballet Hawaii students must be enrolled in the Summer Session to qualify for Summer Intensive.
For students visiting Hawaii who wish to audition for the Summer Intensive in person, please contact the Artistic Director to schedule an audition at Ballet Hawaii. All live auditions must be complete by February 1, 2020.
- ALL APPLICATIONS, HEADSHOTS, PHOTOS, AND DVDS ARE DUE BY FEBRUARY 1, 2020.
- A $100.00 LATE FEE WILL BE APPLIED FOR AUDITION MATERIALS TURNED IN AFTER FEBRUARY 15, 2020.
Summer Intensive Tuition Information
*For ALL levels, final tuition payment is due May 1, 2020.*
Payments may be paid online once the student is accepted.
An additional Production Fee is charged according to the student’s role in the Summer Intensive production.
Ballet Hawaii does not provide housing for visiting students. Families will need to make their own arrangements.
The Ballet Hawaii Summer Experience
Ballet Hawaii’s Summer Intensive program offers students the unique opportunity to learn from outstanding faculty and guest artists and dance alongside professional dancers from mainland companies in a whirlwind three weeks. Very few summer programs provide such up-close-and-personal professional experiences in such a beautiful, tropical setting.
Past summer productions have included the following:
- 2019 – Artistic Director emeritus of Atlanta Ballet, Robert Barnett’s Reflections
- 2018 – Artistic Director of Kansas City Ballet, Devon Carney’s The Sleeping Beauty
- 2015 & 2012 – Artistic Director of Hong Kong Ballet, Septime Webre’s Alice (in Wonderland)
- 2014 – Artistic Director of Hong Kong Ballet, Septime Webre’s Peter Pan
- 2013 – Artistic Director of Hong Kong Ballet, Septime Webre’s Cinderella
- Other productions have included Cincinnati Ballet, Victoria Morgan’s Cinderella, Carolina Ballet’s Romeo and Juliet, Giselle with New York City Ballet, and Serenade staged by Robert Barnett.
And have featured guest artists from…
American Ballet Theatre
New York City Ballet
Pacific Northwest Ballet
Kansas City Ballet
Summer Intensive 2020 Master Teachers
Master Teachers for 202o will include: Robert Barnett, Maiqui Manosa, Timour Bourtasenkov, Danielle Tolmie, Mark Tucker, Regina Ahlgren, Micki Kolberg, Marcie Munnerlyn, and Kumu Kaliko. More Master Teachers will be announced. Stay tuned!